By | 2019-06-18

Marriage is one of the major decisions in our lives. So many things change post-marriage, in many cases even the name, if you are a woman. If you are getting married or a newlywed and need to know how to change your name, MyAdvo is the right place. This article covers all the details that will help you to know the step-by-step process of changing your name after marriage.

There is, however, no law in our country that states that women belonging to any religion must change their names after marriage. So whether you are Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Sikh or Jain, women are not bound to change their name officially. As per Law, a person is not permitted to change their first name more than once.

The Procedure of name Change with MyAdvo

  • You will be given a checklist of documents along with a questionnaire for understanding your requirements.
  • Once MyAdvo receives the duly filled-up questionnaire, it will issue a draft that includes a Proforma, an Affidavit, and an application for publication in the Official Gazette.
  • On the next step, you will need to sign all the documents and courier the hard copies. Make sure to add a notarized affidavit along with it.
  • An advertisement stating your name change will then be published in a national newspaper.
  • Once that is done, all the documents along with an application must be sent to the Department of Publication at New Delhi. It is required for the publication of your name change in Official Gazette.
  • Within seven days after you have applied, the publication that your name has been changed will be made in the Official Gazette.
  • Once that is published, MyAdvvo will courier you a copy of the Official Gazette.

Documents Required for Changing Your Name

  • Affidavit for your name
  • A prescribed Proforma for changing your name. Two witnesses must sign the Proforma. Along with that, it must include the full name, address, and phone or mobile number of both the witnesses.
  • You must also place an advertisement in a newspaper. You must submit both the original and photocopy of the advertisement that is placed in the newspaper.
  • You will have to submit a CD containing a soft copy of the Proforma. This copy must not retain any details of the witnesses. Put your old name in the place designated for signature.
  • A certificate must be submitted that states the details on the hard copy and the CD are the same.
  • You must also submit two passport-sized self-attested photographs.
  • A photocopy of an identity proof must also be submitted. Aadhar card, voter ID card, passport, driving license, or PAN card can be submitted as a proof of identity.
  • A cover letter should be included as well.
  • A demand draft to pay all the fees should also be included.

You can also notify all the institutions like bank, college and workplace that your name has changed. It will be helpful for you in future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *